Thursday, July 31, 2014

Re: Stop Telling Me I'm Pretty for a Girl in a Wheelchair

182 words
1 minute read

For me, Stop Telling Me I'm Pretty for a Girl in a Wheelchair was a revelation, because it made me realize I'm not the only one.

I'm not the only one who's received the comment (behind my back) "It's too bad she's in a wheelchair.  She's so pretty."  I'm not the only one who has been told "good job" for simply walking with my crutches from one place to another.  I'm not the only one who's been asked "What's wrong?", "What happened?" or "Can I pray for you?" more times than I can count.

Let me explain something.

A wheelchair is not a bad thing.  A wheelchair is an awesome thing.  A wheelchair gives me the ability to go places faster, to save my strength, to travel long distances...  It's not too bad.  But it's too bad so many people out there can't see that my wheelchair does not trap me, it liberates me.

It's not too bad.  Nothing is wrong with me.  Nothing happened.  So I don't need to be fixed.

I am not a burden.

I am a human being.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)